Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pudding on the Rice - Ty and Erin Style

I've been looking for a rice pudding recipe ever since Mom and Emily introduced us to Pudding on the Rice.  Until PotR, I never realized just how good rice pudding could be, and now I'm addicted.  Below is the best rice pudding recipe I've found - really good, really easy, and super rich!

Ingredients:
3/4 Cup uncooked white rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Other flavorings in combinations only limited by imagination

Directions:
1:  MAKE RICE:  In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.  Add rice and stir.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.  (Prep Notes:  we had rice for dinner, and I had some left over which I used to make the pudding - worked great.  Also, since water didn't show up in the ingredients list and I can't read...I started with 1 1/2 cups milk in the saucepan instead of water.  It didn't mess anything up, since I used it in the next step - but still...)

2:  MAKE PUDDING!!:  In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.  Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy (15 - 20 minutes).  Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and beaten egg.  Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

3:  EAT PUDDING!!!!!!!!!:  We let the pudding cool for about 1/2 hour in the fridge (freezer would even be better).  Then, we rough-chopped some chocolate chips and stirred them into the pudding.  The pudding was just warm enough to melt the chocolate as we were eating every bite of the batch!  Next time, I'm going to get some ameretto extract to make my favorite PotR flavor, but it I don't make some chocolate chip for Erin, she'll strangle me.

FINAL NOTES:  This is one of those recipes that is simple enough to experiment and play with.  Next time, I think that I'll use a little less sugar, since ours turned out a little sweet with the addition of chocolate.  

Try it, and please let us know what you think!!

1 comment:

Debi said...

I can't wait to try this. My mouth is watering just from reading about it! Thanks for posting the recipe.